Monday, December 5, 2016

Some Christmassy photo and a bit of discussion about pros and cons of Canon vs Nikon

Two cameras, two completely different types of picture.


I took these from basically the exact same position, resting the camera on the arm of the couch - so basically these are semi-handheld ... i just could not get the effect I wanted with the Nikon (top photo) But the Canon did it first go, using Aperture (Av) setting, so I controlled the light getting into the photo and got some nice bokeh (background blur).  I never thought I'd say it but again and again I'm turning to the Canon to take photos and I'm very pleased that I went for this entry level DSLR. Next year I want to do a proper course, where I go to lessons and interact with a human teacher.  I also want to buy a Canon spec zoom and also a wide angle lens.    The wide angle lens and zoom lens that came with the Canon 'kit' are quite crap.

More shots from the Canon (the colour is richer, I think and these are hand held photos, with tripod they'd be perfectly sharp):



And some more from the Nikon - I am not liking the false colour images I get from the Nikon, this has always been a problem I've had with this camera and it's very noticeable now that I have the Canon.  Doesn't matter what settings it's on (ISO, aperture, shutter speed), the finished photo (in low light) is not true to the natural ambient colour and the images are furry ... 


Ewan's eyes are not sharply focused, which they would have been with the Canon in a shot like this.
 The only thing that the Nikon has got going for it is the dynamic zoom lens but since I got back from South Africa, I'm having a problem with the shutter release button, so might have to send it in to Nikon when I've got some money, to have that fixed. 




No comments:

Post a Comment