Monday, February 24, 2014

Phew ... back home at last.

It's always great to come home hey?!   The UK put on a bright blue sunny dress this morning, just for us ... the weather was lovely when we landed and has continued throughout today.   As I type this, Kevin is laying on his bed snoring away - he must be quite exhausted as it is a bit a drive from Heathrow to Norfolk, especially when you haven't slept at all the night before. 

I've decided that I hate flying. The next time we go anywhere, I'm going to investigate the larney seats and maybe fly first class, so you can at least lie down and have a snooze.  I didn't sleep a wink - being near to the toilet, the bloody door was opening and closing all night long.   We were also spread out all over the show, as we could only pre-book seats on the morning that we were leaving - so Hayzel and the kids were sat on one side of the plane (Ewan had a window seat), Kevin was in the middle block on the same row (separated by one awkward Arab dude, who was sat in the aisle) and I was a couple of rows back from them (also in the aisle).  The bloke that was sitting next to Kevin refused to change seats with me - so we just had to deal with it.

There were a lot of fractious children on the flight - a couple of really hard work children were in the seats in front of me - they drove us all mad, screaming and performing throughout most of the trip.

I have a condition called 'restless leg syndrome' and I just can't go to sleep in a public place because I'm constantly aware of my leg and other parts of my body twitching as soon as I start to relax and it's so bad that sometimes my leg literally jumps up into the air.  So there was no nodding off for me this time - not even for a few minutes' cat napping.  The 'in flight' entertainment - tv's and headphones - are so crap, you can't hear bugger all over the noise of the air conditioning and the engines, so I gave up on that.   

This morning, Ewan brought up his breakfast, whilst mummy was trying to get to the toilet just before we landed.  So we need to remember that he can't have a cooked meal if we are going to be landing soon afterwards, his little guts can't handle the pressure.   He was okay though once he'd up-chucked.  As soon as we got to the car, he basically fell asleep straight away and didn't wake up again until we were almost in Long Stratton.  His sister also had a good snore and was out cold for most of the trip from London. The car didn't give us any problems, started first time at the Long Stay parking, which was a big relief.   It's easy peasy getting from BA's Terminal 5 to the Long Stay parking - although the signage outside the airport to the actual shuttle bus stop leaves a lot to be desired.  It's great flying BA because you use their courtesy 'tube train' to go to baggage control.

I have tons of photos to sort out and post to the blog of the rest of our holiday - I will try and do that this evening.   I'm going to have a snooze now as well.

Love to everyone and thanks for making our holiday such a lot of fun - even though Ewan, Faye and me bawled our eyes out until we got onto the plane, after we'd said our goodbyes to Dave, Ally and Mags at the airport.

Leigh - please give Daniel a very big squeeze and kiss from me and hope to be able to see you all on Skype this weekend.
Andrew - I hope you are doing okay and sorting yourself out.  Hang in there, soon you'll all be together as a family and start your life in Durban with a vengeance!

3 comments:

  1. *happy dance* glad you all home! From us your UK family ( ha ha weather* you like it or not)
    *baahahhhaa could not help myself !

    ReplyDelete
  2. Shame mom, the flight sounded hectic. I cant imagine how crap it was been seperated on the plane with you and Kevin not having any family sitting next to you to talk to.I am sorry we made you cry at the airport, bUt I will make my goals to see you soon mom.I am glad you can rest now and get back into the swing of been home. Please send my love to Faye and ewan and tell the little dumplings Aunty Ally will see them sooner than they think.

    I loved seeing you mom and every one else. I miss you all so much already and I am grateful we all had an awsome time. Cant wait to see the photos. I see the group one with Ronnie is still up? Please get that deleted as soon as possible.......

    I love you all and wish I could have a cuddle.

    Keep well.

    xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad you arrived home safely.It was so nice spending time with everyone,miss u guys already.xxx

    ReplyDelete