Monday, July 15, 2013

Odds and ends

Faye and Ewan's schools are closed from the 24th July to the 5th September.   So I'm busy getting some sort of a plan in shape for what we can do over the holidays and stuff that doesn't involve too much money!

David told me that I had to post photos of the art that I've recently completed onto this 'ere blog ...


First in a series (I hope) of Poured Abstract Acrylic pieces.

This is using acrylic paint and Liquitex pouring medium to create a super glossy finish and interesting blending effects. 
Detail of the design




Abstract landscape - photos in different light strengths.  It's76 x 51cm by 2 to 2.5cm deep or 30" x 20" by 1" deep





Acrylic paint and acrylic irridescent inks, heavy structure gel, home made modelling paste (from gesso and bicarbonate of soda), all purpose filler, surgical spirits, white spirits ...


It's inspired by that place at Perth, Drakensberg where we all went for a Easter Weekend ... remember?  Andrew and David took a hike up and down the mountain that I've loosely based this abstract on.  

Texture detail

 Another 'poured' acrylic abstract piece.  This time I didn't use as much pouring medium and it's dried more matt in places.   Both of the poured medium acrylics are test pieces anyway ... but I'm really liking the effects that you can get with poured paint.  This is a smallish canvas - about 2 foot long by 1 and a half foot and half an inch in depth


Acrylic paints, acrylic irridescent inks, glitter glue were used to make this one.


I understand that Dave won at the cricket over the weekend and that he got a trophy but I haven't seen any photos, so I'm a bit skeptical ... har har. 

Our neighbour very kindly took it upon himself this morning (well at midday with his shirt off, lathered in sun tan lotion), to trim our very wayward and overgrown hedges at the front of our house.  I thought that was so nice of him and when I suggested that we must get him a bottle of something nice to say thanks, he just said it's no problem and not to worry about that.   Neighbourliness at its finest.

I'm going on a jaunt with my Auntie Jean in October up to the Scottish Highlands, I'm so looking forward to that - we are travelling by train, so that should be really interesting. Can't wait, we will have a hoot!

Hayzel has her mini op on her arm this week. 

Faye's class is putting on a version of Shakespeare's The Tempest and she's one of the three girls who have been chose to do the part of Miranda.  She's not an under-study, they just share the part amongst the girls who show the most promise, I guess.  

Our landlord came round last week to check up on us and make sure we hadn't burnt the house down yet, he said that he understands Faye is a star and he's only hearing good things about her. His wife teaches at Faye's school.  She did really well in her report - mostly A's ... I think that's a wonderful achievement for such a young girl, after making the huge adjustment to living in the UK, missing family and friends ... she's done really well.  



4 comments:

  1. Eh up, great paintings, do a few more and do an evening at your local community center, I'll bet you sell them all !!!. They really look brilliant, keep on...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Steve, that's a great idea, I will look into it! Thanks for the positive feedback. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. WoW Mom, the paintings are amazing man. I love the work you doing. you should still try to start selling them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Dave! I hope you are feeling better now.

    ReplyDelete