Monday, December 10, 2012

Day Four



Well today I spent lounging about at home with the kiddies, whilst mom and dad went on a reconnaissance to sort out banking, drivers licenses and purchase a car ... not too much to do in one day, hey?

Just before H&K left for the day, there was a special delivery for me from a courier company – a huge polyurethane strong box!   It was filled with all sorts of goodies for our family – sent from my aunties, uncle, cousins  and extended family in Wales (and other parts).  I am still a bit emotional about this, it was so unexpected and beautiful.    There were gifts for the kiddies, presents each for Kevin, Hayzel and me; things for the house, even Christmas lights for the tree and bunting to hang up in (or outside) the house. I can’t thank my family enough, this was such a special thing that they did and we really appreciate it.     A little later on, whilst the kids and I were settled down to watch a dvd that was in the strong box (The Snow Queen) –  I heard some noise at the door and went to check ... there was another small parcel that had been delivered by Royal Mail through our letterbox ... inside was a knitted hat for Hayzel (to go with the scarf that was in the strong box) ... apparently there wasn’t enough space for the hat, so it was sent separately.    Also in the little parcel, was a Welcome to your New Home card from my Auntie Jean.   I can’t believe how thoughtful you guys are and the effort you went to , to make our arrival in the UK something special!   Thank you so much – we can’t wait to see you all soon. 

Mid-morning I was emailing my son and he asked me to get onto SKYPE, so I did and then we did the video chat thing with the kiddies - it was awesome!   You asked me to post more pictures of the kiddies, Dave - so here you go: 

A big smile

Reading Lightning the Queen with Daddy

Group discussion about Lightning the Queen

That's my car, Dad!

Missy - updating her diary

Howzit everyone, check out my bejewelled mouse ... hurf hurf ...
 

H&K came back later on in the afternoon, with news that they have bought a silver Ford Focus for us!  It's not new but seems to be in good condition, low mileage, 1600 - we are familiar with the Focus (Hayzel had one in SA, she was always very happy with it).   We will be able to collect the car once the insurance and MOT has been sorted out, the garage are busy with the MOT and will be giving the car a service in the meantime.  

We have to take the hire car back to Norwich on Wednesday morning, so we are going to ask for another rental for a few more days, so we aren’t stuck without transport in case our Ford isn’t ready in time.  Also on Wednesday, round about lunchtime, we have an appointment with the Nursery School for Ewan.   On Friday we have the appointment with Faye’s head teacher at St. Mary’s - so this is certainly a busy first week in the UK for us!
 
H&K also brought the drivers’ license forms that we have to fill in and post back – doesn’t look too complicated – it’s £50 per license I think.   You just apply to have your South African license converted to a British one – you don’t have to do another test.

I am going to sort out British Telecoms online tomorrow, after we’ve been to Barclays Bank because it’s easier to do everything online here.   My Barclays internet banking is a bit of a stuff up for some reason (always had problems with it, since I came back two years ago) – so will get that fixed, then I can pay for stuff online without any hassles.   My SA credit card is a bit bruised and beat up at the moment  :) 

Our couches will be delivered some time after 3.30pm tomorrow afternoon – yay, decent chairs to sit in at last!


Children's forum
Faye has done quite a few notes in her diary, drawn pictures and messages for her BFF, Tamika Naidoo - so instead of emailing everything I am just going to post them here.  

Faye and her diary - front inside cover decorated with stickers sent from my Aunts today - of Faye and her BFF, Tamika!

Drawing for Tamika from Faye

Letter for Tamika from Faye

BFF's Tamika and Faye !

4 comments:

  1. Hi all. Tamika sends her love to Faye. You place looks stunning. Thank you for keeping us updated. You'll are missed dearly. Lots of love Naidoo's Bushwillow park

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Vinesh! Faye is missing Tamika quite a lot, she had a little weep last night but overall, I think the kids are already adjusting quite well to life in the frozen North!

      Delete
  2. Hey Guys How goes it, Thanks for the Pic's Mom.. I can see your all having fun... I am serously thinking about packing up this side and heading to you guys... Lots of things happening this side that i don't like anymore... But thank you for keeping us up todate with everything...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Dave, thanks for your comment - let me know per email what you are thinking about! Sounds like a really good idea to me :)

    ReplyDelete